Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club’s objective is to promote healthy recreation to the community by providing facilities for sailing, windsurfing, stand up paddle boarding and canoeing. The club is based at Grimwith Reservoir: a Yorkshire Water reservoir that covers 371 acres of open water almost 1000′ above sea level with a sailing area measuring about a mile by half a mile. The north west corner is a conservation area for wildlife.
Numerous water based activities are available to visitors with their own equipment and members. The club has a very strong dinghy racing section and club racing is provided throughout the year. Regular Open events for different classes of boat are also held, including Inland Championships. Windsurfing is also very popular and there are many active club members at a wide variety of levels. Recreational watersports can also take place most of the time the club is open. The size of the water also makes the Club an ideal venue for windsurfing.
The club is a recognised RYA training Centre and provides a wide range of training activities, including dinghy sailing, windsurfing, powerboat handling and instructor courses. These courses are very popular and training events are held nearly every weekend through the summer. Annually, dozens of junior and adult members receive training in the RYA National Sailing Scheme. Taster sessions are provided for scores of youngsters.
All these activities are enhanced by the comprehensive facilities in the £0.75 million, state of the art clubhouse.
- Described by some visitors as the best in the country.
- A large Clubroom with amazing panoramic views across the reservoir and the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
- Spacious male and female changing rooms with showers, toilets and underfloor heating.
- A large garage for Safety Boats, Committee Boat and associated equipment.
- Separate store building for buoys, windsurfing equipment and sails for Club boats (which are available for Members to hire for a nominal sum).
- Disabled toilets, baby changing facilities, changing and shower rooms.
- Wheelchair-friendly lift.
- Ground Source Heating system and Solar Thermal panels providing plenty of hot water for our wonderful showers at big events.
- Large dinghy park.
- Concrete launching ramps.
- Galley – a thriving and well equipped café – open through the season at weekends from 10am and summer Wednesday evenings.
- Kiddies Corner – We have a kiddies corner with toys in the Clubroom. The toy corner is very popular with families so please could parents leave the area tidy with toys put away. Any donations of toys to add to the existing collection would be most welcome.